Business Development Associate
Business development associate: GBP45,000 to GBP65,000
Oxford-based Fast Track is looking for a bright and ambitious individual to work closely alongside our senior directors in this newly created permanent role; providing dedicated business development support, and some account handling of our blue-chip sponsors.
The role would suit an ambitious person with at least five years' relevant experience who is keen to live and work in Oxford for an entrepreneurial company, operating nationally, with an exceptional track record of attracting and retaining blue-chip sponsors. The right candidate will:
- conduct intuitive BD research, including targeting prospects and writing tailored sponsorship proposals
- prepare for, participate in, and follow-up from, BD meetings, networking events and awards dinners
- establish relationships with Britain's leading entrepreneurs, particularly to help with introductions to potential sponsors
Fast Track offers a friendly and informal, but at times high-pressured, environment as we strive to exceed the expectations of our clients/sponsors and of Britain's leading entrepreneurs. We publish seven high-profile annual league tables in The Sunday Times, and run 27 invitation-only networking events; including our annual flagship event, hosted by Richard Branson for all 20 years.
There is lots of opportunity for promotion based on performance, and an increase in remuneration based on successful BD/sponsorship sales and support. We are looking for someone with a demonstrable interest and track record in business development.
We are looking for a full-time business development associate to primarily help engage and secure suitable new sponsors for our well-respected annual league table programmes; and also to increase the profitability of our existing sponsors, through responsive client service and expanded sponsorship deliverables.
- Researching potential sponsors: conduct intuitive and targetted research into relevant potential sponsors, in order to secure meetings with suitable high-value new sponsors, as well as helping to develop new projects based on potential sponsors' expressed needs
- Attending meetings & overseeing follow-up: help prep for, participate in and follow-up from key sponsor and business development meetings in London with our directors, taking detailed notes to allow you to draft succinct action points and write tailored sponsorship proposals
- Writing sponsors proposals: use concise written and verbal communication skills, to not only provide well-researched and accurate briefings before meetings, but also to write and create tailored sponsorship proposals and presentations (using PowerPoint and InDesign); and taking overall responsibility for continuously editing and improving our sponsor proposals and related documents
- Social media: help improve our nascent digital offering and social media outputs/Twitter, particularly aimed at retaining and attracting new sponsors; and help manage our CEO's LinkedIn account, primarily used for networking amongst our VIP alumni entrepreneurs, speakers and potential sponsors
- Networking: work at our invitation-only awards dinners in London (7-9 evenings per year) and at some of our 17 alumni dinners (predominantly in London), to help invite and host key potential sponsors and VIP entrepreneurs, and develop relationships with them in order to secure sponsor leads from our existing alumni companies - often from introductions to their suppliers or contact
You will need to have:
- Minimum 2.1 honours degree
- At least five years' relevant experience, ideally a demonstrable BD track record within the financial or professional services sectors
- Meticulous attention to detail, with excellent writing and proof-reading skills
- Strong written and verbal communication, with proven research ability to identify and help secure meetings with key decision-makers in relevant sponsors and potential sponsors
- Basic knowledge of private company financials, to understand the relevance of these to our different league tables and different types of sponsors' target markets
You will need to be:
- A natural sales person with a flair for creating and developing contacts in a professional B2B networking environment
- Switched on, able to pick up the specific nuances of our business and the key relationships with our different sponsors in order to quickly understand the context and importance of all tasks, and embracing our culture of continuous improvement
- Highly organised, an adaptable multi-tasker with a positive attitude able to constantly juggle priorities
- Bright and practical, receptive to constructive criticism, and with a willingness to personally develop
Who we are:
- Fast Track is based in St Clements, Oxford, and is the UK's leading research and networking events company focused on top-performing private companies and entrepreneurs
- We are an independent company which was founded by Hamish Stevenson in 1997, with cornerstone, and ongoing, sponsorship from Richard Branson and Virgin
- Our revenue is from our blue-chip sponsors, who use their sponsorship to raise their profile in a sector, and to meet and win new business from hard-to-reach entrepreneurs at company visits and our events
- We employ 25 permanent members of staff at our office in Oxford, and seven freelance researchers, many of whom have worked with Fast Track for over ten years
What we do:
- We publish seven annual private company league tables with The Sunday Times; and our 27 highly-regarded, invitation-only networking events create valuable networking opportunities for their entrepreneurial directors and our sponsors
- Our sponsors include: Virgin (all 20 yrs); HSBC, Lloyds Bank & UBS Wealth Management (13+ yrs); Barclays, BDO, Grant Thornton & Hiscox (7+ yrs); BGF, BMW & Linklaters (3+ yrs); Heathrow & N+1 Singer (2 yrs); DHL, Trowers & Hamlins & Virgin Media Business (1 yr)
- Attendees and speakers at our events range from founders and owners of our alumni growth companies such as Fever-Tree and Just Eat, to the founders and CEOs of the largest private companies such as Ineos, Dyson and Pret A Manger
Please apply below with a one-page application letter, stating your relevant experience, why you are interested in the role, current salary and where you saw the vacancy; and a copy of your CV.
First round interviews will be held on the afternoon/evening of Thursday 31 August. For further info, contact Faye Preston-Smith on or