Deputy Director Business Customer Strategies
As Deputy Director Business Customer Strategies you will design, drive, articulate and assure the implementation of the Business Customer Strategies (small, mid-size and large business and agents) to enable HMRC to achieve its vision and commitments in the SR15 period and beyond. Delivery requires leading a team that works, at pace, with external delivery partners in a connected, collaborative and innovative way to meet HMRC objectives
You will be responsible for leading and developing a team of around 30 people to design and assure Business Customer Strategies. In addition, you will have a strong personal accountability for effectively conveying and using the value and benefits of business customer strategies to internal and external delivery partners (including senior managers and Ministers).
Key responsibilities will include:
· Leading and building a high performing Business Customer Strategy team and playing an active role in creating a high performing HMRC Strategies Senior Leadership Team.
· Working with the Director to take HMRC’s Business Customer strategies to the next phase of development. This will include ensuring coherence with wider Whitehall objectives (including economic growth) as well as systematically identifying and resolving risks in strategy implementation.
· Working across the Department to assess HMRC’s progress against its Business Customer strategic priorities and advise on business prioritisation and corrective action.
· Working with SCS colleagues in HMRC Strategies to implement a clear strategic approach to Agents focusing on trialling new approaches in 2017/18 to inform strategy evolution and realisation.
· Developing, with delivery partners, strategy design and implementation solutions that actively contribute to HMRC’s customer experience and cost reduction objectives.
· Building and maintaining strong and productive relationships with external stakeholders representing different sectors within the business community.
· Building a strong network to influence and support policy teams and other colleagues so that the organisation can build on existing business strategies.
As part of a newly formed Directorate you will play an active role in developing the Directorate's identity and ways of working by taking an active corporate leadership role as well as influencing across other parts of HMRC. The Directorate is relatively small and team working matters so wanting to be part of a team and using knowledge and information to support the way the Directorate performs is important.
In this role you will:
· act as a role model and embody the leadership values (Inspiring, Confident and Empowering) for your team, the wider directorate and HMRC;
· focus outwards in your role, collaborating across the Department and with customers to deliver joint outcomes, strengthening the professionalism and reputation of the Civil Service; and
· work with SCS colleagues and their teams in HMRC Strategies to build new more flexible ways of working in the Directorate.