Director Naval Support
Specific responsibilities / activities include:
- Providing safe, secure and efficient support to the Fleet from the three Naval Bases, including to the nuclear deterrent from HMNB Clyde, and to provide support to the Oil and Pipelines Agency for the management of the oil fuel depots;
- Leading the development of the next generation of commercial arrangements to deliver engineering support to warships and submarines and facilities management in the Naval Bases post 2020, and the replacement for the Marine Services Private Finance Initiative in 2022;
- Leading the management of the Naval estate, including prioritisation of infrastructure investment, delivery of Defence Estate Optimisation projects, and delivery of major capital infrastructure programmes in the Naval Bases, through an efficient and affordable programme of work with the Defence Infrastructure Organisation;
- Leading all elements of logistics in Navy Command, including the development of an efficient and affordable programme of work for commodity management and logistics services with the Defence Equipment & Support organisation, and acting as the Logistics Training Requirements Authority;
- Providing an engineer’s and logistician’s perspective to the Navy Command Operating Board, and providing leadership to the maritime support community – principally Naval and Civil Service engineers and logisticians.
The ideal candidate will need to demonstrate their capability and potential against the following criteria:
- Experience of leading and delivering large engineering, logistics and infrastructure programmes in a complex operating environment.
- Significant programme management experience gained in government or in a commercial environment.
- Proven senior leadership experience, with the ability to represent, manage and motivate a large diverse organisation undergoing significant transformational change.
- Qualified as a Chartered Engineer or equivalent.
- A strong understanding of the MOD, Armed Forces and Naval Service would be advantageous.
- Have completed or be willing to complete the Major Projects Leadership Academy programme.