Planning Manager - Scheme Development
Planning Manager - Scheme Development
Directorate: Strategy & Planning
Preferred Location: Birmingham or Leeds or Manchester or Bristol
Number of Positions: 1
Working Pattern: Full Time
Highways England is the new government owned company responsible for driving forward our motorways and major A roads. This includes; modernising and maintaining the highways, running the network and keeping traffic moving. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased. This has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done.
Certainty of funding and greater flexibility will enable us to become a better business. In our first 5 years alone, we'll invest GBP11 billion in motorways and A roads - boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than GBP1 billion by working more efficiently.
Be part of something new and help shape the future of the Strategic Road Network (SRN) for generations to come. The main purpose of the newly formed Network Planning Division is to ensure a holistic approach to the development of the future network strategy. The Division is responsible for developing and maintaining the strategic vision and a network strategy to 2050, lead and commission a series of strategic studies, develop the company's approach to long-term economic growth and spatial planning, sponsor major schemes and manage Highways England's response to major UK infrastructure projects. The role can be based in Birmingham, Leeds or Manchester.
In this role, you will provide strategic direction for the company by ensuring the effective development and delivery of key projects and products to inform and optimise network investment decisions and the setting of future Road Investment Strategies (RIS), ensuring the best use of resources and compliance with statutory requirements. This will likely include development of network planning studies, options assessment work and business case development.
Day to day
- Manage and lead delivery of Network Investment projects, including but not limited to, strategic studies, maturing of route strategies and options assessment work.
- Develop clear and concise work packages and manage the performance of the project team against objectives, costs and milestones to ensure delivery of expected outcomes.
- Develop and improve methodologies and procedures to deliver network investment projects and key deliverables.
- Develop and define underpinning methodologies and procedure to optimise the effective use of technology, streamline resources and ensure outputs are fit for purpose to support network investment decisions and wider business requirements. Work collaboratively with key internal and external delivery partners to understand processes, capture requirements, identify and test improvements.
- Maintain oversight and manage project interdependencies with the wider Road Investment Strategy.
- Actively maintain and encourage regular dialogue with the wider RIS programme and work streams in order to capture changing requirements and identify interdependencies and project risk.
- Procure and manage consultancy contracts.
- Prepare business case and tender documentation, complying with relevant requirements, to ascertain internal support to procure technical consultancy. Lead on the tender process and evaluation to recommend appointment of consultants. Manage the day to day activities of contractors for the project, monitoring performance, quality, resources and costs to ensure compliance and value for money. Provide timely and clear documentation to report early warning and recommend compensation events.
- Promote projects with internal and external stakeholders and project reporting.
- Act as a lead within the project team to promote the projects and ongoing progress with key internal and external stakeholders to engage support and provide a clear sense of direction and purpose in relation to the wider RIS programme and the work of key stakeholders.
- Embed and advocate a PPM and Continuous Improvement.
- Utilise Project Programme Management methodologies and tools to deliver projects and programmes in a robust and consistent manner; and advocate a benefits realisation approach.
- Project Sponsorship.
- Commission delivery directorates to undertake project development activities and ensure that the work is undertaken in line with the requirements laid out in the brief and that strategic decisions are taken consistent with the Company's Network Strategy.
- Demonstrable experience of working successfully in a Programme or complex Project Management environment, ideally with experience of using Managing Successful Programmes or equivalent methodology.
- Experience of delivering large and complex road feasibility studies.
- Demonstrable experience of leading people to successful delivery of large scale, complex and/or high risk projects, or high profile/high risk services.
- Working knowledge of MS Office packages.
- Demonstrable experience of leading change and continuous improvement, ideally with experience of using Lean or Business Analysis methodology.
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills to convey complex information to a wide audience.
- Ability to prioritise in order to meet tight deadlines.
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
Closing date: 08 October 2017.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply via the button below.