Head, Army Capability and Portfolio
2 days left
Job description Head of Army Capability and Portfolio will report to the Army’s Director Capability and lead a branch of approximately 40 predominantly civilian and military staff.
The post holder’s primary roles are to:
• Lead capability integration and investment planning for the Army’s Funded Force - a 10 year, £24bn portfolio - matched to UK defence policy ambition.
• Lead the Army’s portfolio management activity, including supporting the Executive Committee of the Army Board (ECAB), and champion the development of P3M knowledge and skills across the Army.
• Lead cross-cutting capability coherence.
Specific responsibilities / activities include:
• Leading the branch providing Army portfolio planning, delivery and support and the programme support function.
• Directing and reporting to ECAB the annual audit of Army capabilities to determine risks against policy ambition.
• Supporting and enabling ECAB balance of investment decisions by the development of evidence- based portfolio recommendations.
• Developing and executing the Army’s Capability Integration and Investment Plan and ensuring that it is reflected in the Army’s overall corporate plan.
• Supporting ECAB to deliver the Army Strategy by synchronising portfolio change activity.
• Supporting Director Capability, in his role as Portfolio Director, to scope, establish, monitor, support and assure pan-Army change programme delivery.
• Leading portfolio liaison with the MoD and other Top Level Budgets (TLBs), including the management of inter-TLB portfolio dependencies.
• Chairing a range of boards and forums across a spectrum of activities and military capability programme areas.
The ideal candidate will need to demonstrate their capability and potential against the following criteria:
• Experience of senior leadership and P3M in a complex organisation.
• The knowledge, confidence and credibility to regularly and comfortably brief and influence up to 4* / CEO (Perm Sec equivalent) /Board-level
Proven senior leadership experience in complex programme delivery organisations and support to Board-level investment decisions.
• A strong understanding of building functional and professional organisational capability.
• An understanding of the senior structures, organisations and mechanisms involved in developing Defence, Army and Land capability.