Research Scientist R&D
Closing Date: 25/10/2017
Employment Type: Permanent
Hours Per week: Full time
Salary: GBP34,000 to GBP38,000 per annum
Location: Haydock, Merseyside
Job Title: Research Scientist (R&D)
Job Reference: 30-2017
Pyroguard manufactures fire resistant glass to enable architects, specifiers and installers achieve their vision of safe and aesthetically beautiful living and working spaces. The company has a strong commitment to R&D and has invested in facilities which support innovative science and new product development.
This role is for a talented individual who will work as a Research Scientist (R&D). You will be self-starter showing initiative, with an innovative mind and a desire to work with accuracy. You will be capable of working with people from different disciplines, and as comfortable in a working factory environment as in the laboratory or when presenting to the company board. You will work with both organic and inorganic materials and will support product development. You should be familiar with the following terms: fire resistant glass, fire glass in relation to building regulations, intumescence, new product development, design of experiment, colloidal dispersions, rheometry, spectroscopy, thermal analyses, particle sizing techniques, mechanical testing, etc. You are expected to possess good communication skills (written and oral), information management and transfer skills and an increasing sense of awareness in this important are of science and technology.
For this position, it is essential to possess the following skills, qualifications and experience:
- PhD qualification in Chemistry or Polymer Chemistry or Materials Science
- A minimum 2 years industrial experience in fire resistant glass
- A minimum 2 years experience in dealing with hydrogels, epoxies and silicates
- Knowledge in advanced rheometrical techniques
- Significant practical knowledge in photo-chemo-rheology
- Significant practical experience in multi-wave mechanical spectroscopy/rheology
- Significant project management experience or qualification
- Understanding of patents and experience in publication assembly
You will work closely with our R&D team to carry out the following main duties:
- Organise and deliver technical demands of R&D projects
- Undertake characterisation of complex polymeric materials using a range of analytical techniques
- Develop an understanding of the key-structure property relationships linking formulation composition and mechanical properties
- Develop challenging instrumental techniques involving the characterisation of extremely difficult to handle materials
- Document novel methodologies for testing fire resistant matrices
- Supervise and support scale-up of complex multi-component system(s)
Pyroguard offers the successful candidate an opportunity for knowledge and expertise development. The company also offers contributory pension. You should have a full UK driving licence.
Pyroguard is committed to promoting equality and diversity and will welcome suitable applicants from all backgrounds for this post. Appointment will always be made on merit.
Applicants are required to apply online and to include a CV and a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
For further information about Pyroguard, please visit
Enquiries about the vacancy, shortlisting and interviews can be directed to:
Name: Dr Vince Crook