Deputy Director, Civil Service Ethnic Diversity Programme
This is a new team established under the auspices of the forthcoming Civil Service Diversity and Inclusion Strategy, and the successful candidate will provide the leadership of this team. Based as part of the Civil Service Talent division within CSHR, the CS Ethnic Diversity Programme will work in tandem with the CS Disability Inclusion Team both of which work closely with the CS Diversity & Inclusion Strategy Unit.
The CS Ethnic Diversity Programme team’s main priorities will be to:
- Demonstrate commitment to becoming the most inclusive employer by 2020 and role model leadership on race equality
- Provide assurance, accountability for progress and establish a benchmarking tool
- Build ethnic diversity throughout the talent pipeline
- Recognise and capitalise on the value of staff networks to business delivery
- Provide a centre of expertise, innovation and best practice on increasing ethnic minority representation
- Increase data transparency and opportunities for innovative approaches to increasing ethnic minority representation
- Amplify the strategic impact of visible ethnic minority leadership
The primary customers for this work are Civil Servants themselves and in particular the Cabinet Secretary, Chief Executive for the Civil Service; Civil Service Chief People Officer; Permanent Secretary Diversity Champions; departmental Heads of Diversity; and the Minister for the Cabinet Office.
The team will work closely with colleagues within Civil Service Talent team as well as other areas of Civil Service HR including: Civil Service Workforce Strategy; Civil Service Employment Policy (which includes the Disability Inclusion Team); Civil Service Learning and Cabinet Office Analysis & Insight. Our work will ensure diversity and inclusion are firmly integrated across the Civil Service’s people priorities for the next five years, and beyond.
We are innovative, outcome focused and have an unfailing commitment to driving diversity and inclusion. We pride ourselves on keeping abreast of the latest developments across and beyond the Civil Service. Spreading, evaluating and innovating best practice wherever possible. Grade doesn’t matter here. It’s the commitment to the role and the ability and focus to bring about change that will have a tangible difference to the experience of our Civil Service. You’ll therefore be helping us lead engagements with influential and senior leaders in the Civil Service, industry and academia. We have high ambitions for the Civil Service to be the most inclusive employer in the UK and create the space for our team members to thrive and be at their best.
This individual will be responsible to:
- Lead the delivery of the seven key priorities for the CS Ethnic Diversity Programme,
- Establish and maintaining a centre of excellence and evidence on best practice and innovation in reducing ethnic inequalities in workplace outcomes,
- Provide expertise and leadership of the Civil Services’ plans to increase the proportion of ethnic minority Senior Civil Servants,
- Develop and promote the CS’s brand as a leader in innovation and practice in the attraction, recruitment, retention and development of ethnic minority talent,
- Provide insight and support to our most senior leaders including the Cabinet Secretary, Chief Executive of the Civil Service, Chief People Officer and Ministers,
- Establish and manage a specialist and high-performing team to support delivery of the CS Ethnic Diversity Programme, and
- Contribute as part of the CS’s diversity and inclusion leadership community to deliver the wider approach to help the Civil Service to become the most inclusive employer in the UK.