Serjeant at Arms - Operations Manager
Job Title: Serjeant at Arms - Operations Manager
Salary: GBP49,500 - GBP62,023 per annum
Salary Band: A2
Contract Type: Permanent
Number of Posts: 1
Type of Post: Concurrent
Hours: Full time, 36 hours per week
Closing date: 23:59 on 15/10/2017
The SAA team is under the strategic direction of the Managing Director of In-House Services. It is responsible for access to the House of Commons areas within the Parliamentary Estate, for ceremonial functions, and having delegated authority from the Parliamentary Security Director for the security of the House of Commons Chamber and lobbies, Committee rooms and the public galleries.
This role will perform the role of an Executive Officer to the Serjeant at Arms, overseeing operational delivery by the SAA teams. The post holder is on a rota providing support to the Chamber while the House of Commons is sitting, and undertakes high profile ceremonial duties of national and international interest, including the State Opening of Parliament and formal visits to Parliament of Heads of States from other countries
Other responsibilities include event planning, risk assessment and management; working with internal stakeholders and the SAA Access Manager to identify access issues and design & implement pragmatic solutions. Works closely with the business resilience manager on developing and implementing Business Continuity plans.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Strong prior experience of working in an operational role, ideally security-based and in a high profile organisation, delivering effective outcomes when guidance is not always available.
- Proven business management skills including managing budgets, risk management, business continuity, monitoring operational performance indicators, able to work effectively as part of a team promoting a diverse and inclusive working environment
- Proven ability to make immediate operational decisions using sound judgement, to develop and evaluate evidence-based options and make timely decisions, including under pressure.
- Annual leave starting at 28 days pro rata
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- Child care voucher scheme
- Discounted membership of the in-house gym
All applications must be submitted on a House of Commons application form.
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the job description which can be found on the House of Commons careers website.