Principal Analyst / Team Leader
4 days left
- Full Time
These posts offer an exciting opportunity to deliver research and evidence into the heart of the strategic centre of the Civil Service – helping us to recruit and develop world class civil servants. This post offers the opportunity to work with senior leaders across the Civil Service, using your qualitative and quantitative skills to give insight and drive improvement in our CSHR services, directly improving the capacity and experience of the Civil Service.
CSHR (Operations) provides recruitment, talent management and professional resourcing services to the Civil Service. Our services include the centrally managed Fast Stream and Fast Track Apprenticeship recruitment. We are responsible for recruitment through Civil Service Jobs as well as SCS recruitment. We run Civil Service Learning and flagship talent development programmes such as the Leadership Academy.
These services mean that CSHR is at the forefront of Civil Service reform, leading on leadership, talent and professional development, to meet its current capability challenges, as well as the skills required to create a Brilliant Civil Service that delivers excellent public services.
You will lead a multi-disciplinary team of analysts to deliver a programme of research and analysis driving forward evaluation of a number of related, though distinct, services across the government HR function. These include the range of Fast Stream schemes, associated Early Talent schemes such as Fast Track apprenticeships, and CSL learning programmes. You will maintain the quality of data we capture and use it innovatively to inform policy direction and delivery, often engaging with senior leaders to do so.
You will support the different CSHR teams with analysis and research and data-driven insights in order to drive evidence-based improvements to services, and provide relevant and timely briefing for senior leadership. You will proactively identify projects that add value for our stakeholders and customers, working with the business to drive these forward. As such, there is the exciting opportunity for the role holder to proactively shape and lead the research agenda.
In collaboration with other CSHR analysts, you will design and manage large scale research and analysis projects running over many months and smaller scale bespoke projects, while also maintaining flexibility in your team to respond flexibly to ad hoc requests for insight and analysis in line with business needs. You will frequently engage with senior leaders to clearly articulate complex findings and to communicate evidence in a clear and concise manner.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, enthusiastic and have excellent people and project management skills, as well as being a skilled analyst – able to lend themselves to both qualitative and quantitative analysis, recognising the value both add to robust evaluation. Crucial to this role will be the ability to lead and motivate a team to develop and improve capability in these areas. You will need a flexible approach, the ability to manage conflicting priorities and to be committed to delivering a high quality service.
Central to this role will be critical questioning and curiosity skills, so not just accepting things at face value but seeking to question the norm and in doing so, being passionate about the shared desire for excellence in the services offered by Civil Service HR. You will have a keen understanding of how your work fits into, and adds value to, the wider Civil Service.
• Proactively developing and managing a central research and analysis function within CSHR (Operations)
• Leading a team of multi-disciplinary analysts. Build their capability and ensure the team has the skills and expertise necessary to achieve its objectives, setting challenging targets and effectively addressing underperformance.
• Work collaboratively with other CSHR analytical teams to design, manage, analyse and present findings from evaluations of a number of distinct talent and recruitment schemes, including the range of Fast Stream schemes, associated Early Talent schemes such as Fast Track apprenticeships, and CSL learning programmes.
• Work collaboratively with the analysts elsewhere in government including in the Cabinet Office to deliver relevant research and analysis products on time and to specification.
• Work with external partners/consultants, using data and analysis to monitor and evaluate the quality of the services they provide (for instance, training delivered through Civil Service Learning).
• Ensuring that there are robust processes in place for accessing, storing and processing data used within the team. Ensure the quality and sound governance of data reported, internally and externally.
You will need to have the ability to develop innovative approaches to address complex problems, and be skilled in communicating the substance and results of that analysis in a manner that is digestible by non-analysts. You will be able to lead and motivate a team towards a shared goal, supporting development of analytical skills and expertise across your team.
You will also need to have a clear understanding of quality assurance. Finally, you will need to champion the effective use of data and other evidence to provide direction and support to CSHR.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate:
• strong stakeholder management and communication skills including experience in dealing with and influencing colleagues at all levels, good communication skills and the ability to develop relationships within CSHR (Operations) and beyond to improve working relations and delivery
• organisational skills, including an ability to be self-starting, to work effectively and take responsibility for delivery and work with others in order to achieve goals, to be highly organised and have the ability to multi-task to work within tight deadlines
• experience in leading development and delivery of analytical projects, with the ability to exploit data using advanced analytical skills, in order to address complex business problems
• the ability to communicate the outputs of such techniques to a non-technical audience
• ability to quickly assess and adopt analytical techniques and tools where value can be added
• ability to identify and draw upon the value that different analytical professions (quantitative and qualitative specialists) can contribute to deliver robust analytical work
• ability and proven track record in constructing and effectively communicating findings from analysis.