Investment Financial Accountant for Non Profit organisation
This role will act as the subject matter expert for all financial accounting and control related activities for a diverse investment portfolio.
Due to the size and complexity of the investment portfolio, specialist investment teams are employed to manage investment properties and other investment classes. You will work closely with these teams to ensure that technical accounting requirements are met and provide support to accountants and finance managers working within these areas. The breadth and depth of investment activity is increasingly complex and you will undertake research and provide guidance in order to ensure all relevant accounting considerations are made.
You will be a technical specialist and subject-matter expert, acting as the 'go-to' person for investment accounting. You will keep up to date with relevant accounting regulations and changes in legislation, ensuring compliance is maintained across the business.
You will also take a wider role in promoting best practice in external statutory reporting for all the subsidiary organisations, working with colleagues across the charity accounting and investment accounting teams.
Not only will you be a CCAB qualified accountant, but you will be someone who enjoys researching and applying technical accounting guidance. You will be able to assess the implications of changes to legislation or guidance and make informed recommendations about the correct treatment to adopt, acting in the best interests of the businesses concerned and able to take a pragmatic and balanced view where appropriate. You will also be an effective communicator, able to explain and 'bring alive' complex concepts to non-specialists and the implications for the entities concerned.
Some key duties:
- Set, agree and manage the year end timetable
- Review accounting policies
- Ensure compliance with FRS 102 and Charities SORP and ensure emerging best practice within the charity sector is taken into account
- Agreeing template with Head of Accounting and external auditor
- Present it to Audit & Risk Committee
- Prepare financial group accounts
- Ensure all year end transactions and valuations are processed accurately and on-time (liaise with investment and property accountants regarding investment valuations, prepare consolidation entries and other intercompany transactions)
- Prepare Excel schedules and other relevant backup to support each note to the financial statements
- Review, analyse and explain key variances with previous year
- Answer questions from external auditors and work with relevant finance and investment staff to ensure that technical notes or papers required in relation to judgemental or complex accounting treatment are prepared as necessary
- Prepare financial accounts for all subsidiary companies and partnerships
- Liaise with Head of Tax and support him with tax computations
- Work with compliance team to ensure statutory accounts for all UK companies are signed off and submitted to Companies House on time
Candidates must be fully-qualified to apply (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) . If candidates have exposure to charity and investment accounting that will be beneficial but is not essential to this role.