Social Worker - Children and Families Hub - Colchester
Social Worker - Children and Families Hub
GBP30,000 to GBP35,000 per annum
Full time, 37 hours per week
'Really good insight and experience in relation to thresholds, lovely team with brilliant work ethos.' A Senior Practitioner who recently shadowed the team
The Children and Families Hub is the largest office based team in Children and Families and is now the single point of access to both Children's Social Care and Family Solutions.
The first thing you notice about the Hub is the environment; there is a real buzz with a large friendly Team with colleagues sharing their knowledge and providing support to ensure that the most effective support is offered in a timely manner. The hub is the countywide 'front door' to Children's Social Care and is made up of Family Advisors and Social Workers who act as the first point of contact for members of the public and professionals to raise concerns about the welfare and safety of Children in Essex. The Children and Families Hub considers all information and ensure they provide thorough advice, sign-posting or referring the child and family to the service they need.
"I was very passionate about joining the Hub as the work we do gives the frontline teams the time to spend directly working with the families and children that need it the most. Having had frontline experience myself, the Hub is invaluable in ensuring that the frontline teams maintain manageable caseloads and by having the Hub in place, they have an additional level of protection and support from us by ensuring that we direct families to the most appropriate service to meet their needs at the right time."
Social Workers within this team are primarily office based as the work is telephone based (no face to face or home visits) but they do use the same skills as those in frontline roles. The Family Operations Hub work within core hours of 8.45-5.30 Monday to Friday (regular set hours which is beneficial for those with family / external commitments) from their offices based on Colchester Business Park with easy access to the A12 and only a 30 minute drive from Ipswich Town Centre, and there is a large free car park on site for staff.
We are looking for social workers who want to make a difference, use initiative, are confident in making decisions and relish working under pressure .
Why not check out what our current team have to say about working in the Family Operations Hub Kirsty Cadwell - Senior Practitioner
Knowledge, skills and experience
What you'll need to join our Social Work teams
To play a key part in transforming the lives of children and families, you'll be a DIPSW, CQSW, CSS or equivalent graduate. This will be backed up by post-qualification experience as a children's social worker. Open to change and ready to innovate, you will be keen to join an environment where you can stretch yourself professionally, make an impact individually and deliver positive outcomes collaboratively.
It is desirable that you have experience and knowledge of working with Children with Disabilities.
Benefits of working in the Children and Families Hub:
- Family friendly working hours
- Part-time and shift options
- Set operational hours 8.45am - 5.30pm (Fri 4.30pm)
- No late night emergencies
- Caseload free
- Internal and external partnership work to promote understanding and negotiate alternative responses and interventions for families
- Opportunity to make a difference to the children and families in Essex by delivering intervention to the right families, at the right level and at the right time
- Experience of applying social work knowledge, skills and experience in an alternative working format
- Opportunity to develop understanding of the interface between the children and families Hub and the social care teams
- Strong and collaborative team working
- Committed management team to support innovation and service improvement
- This is an exciting time to join the Children and Families Hub and contribute to the shaping and development of this service.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees, including:
- A local government pension scheme (LGPS), a career average scheme with employee and employer contributions
- Annual leave entitlement of up to 29 days per year (depending upon grade and length of service)
- Purchase of additional annual leave (up to agreed limits)
- Flexible working arrangements (for most roles but depending upon service requirements)
- Discounted shopping through a dedicated Reward Portal (including discounts at major supermarkets)
- Training and development and payment of professional fees (approved professions only)
- Relocation package (up to GBP8,000) where agreed
- Employee assistance programme provided in-house (wellbeing and counselling provision)
- Childcare vouchers, through salary sacrifice
Please note ECC regularly reviews its reward and benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on *.
*Calls to this number will cost 7 pence per minute plus your telephone company's access charge