Senior Data Scientist
We're looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist to join our Insight and Analysis Team.
About the Role
In this role, you will derive insight from research and evidence to highlight accomplishments achieved through Wellcome's funding, direct activities and strategic partnerships and identify new opportunities to support our mission. You will serve as the lead data scientist on analytics projects, collaborating closely with colleagues and external partners, and working flexibly on a variety of challenging, complex and innovative projects.
You will have significant responsibilities including:
* leading in the management and application of data sources, datasets and other tools for research, analysis and reporting
* being an active member of the Wellcome Data Labs R&D environment, contributing practical, innovative solutions, and working closely with the Head of Digital Strategy & Innovation on this development project work
* providing direction and oversight in the collection of research, evidence and analysis to strategic project work
* line managing and mentoring team members to ensure work is of the highest standard and is carried out at the appropriate level
* contributing to the reporting and dissemination of results and insight - facilitating constructive discussions on research and analysis to ensure that our work is robust, critical and objective
* collaborating with internal and external partners
You will need to have:
* substantial experience of quantitative or qualitative research analysis in an academic, commercial or governmental environment
* significant experience of handling complex datasets, including data management, cleansing and processing
* a demonstrable track record of successfully managing and supervising technical staff and project teams from conception through to delivery
* an advanced degree or equivalent experience in a science, technology, engineering or maths subject
* expert knowledge of methods in data manipulation and wrangling
* working knowledge of machine learning, deep learning and data visualisations
* applied experience of statistical tools and analysis (e.g. linear models, ANOVA, causal inference)
* knowledge of at least one programming language (e.g. Python, R)
* excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to synthesise information conveying key points clearly and concisely
We believe great ideas can change the world and improve health for everyone. At Wellcome, we help great ideas to thrive by supporting scientists and researchers, taking on big problems, fuelling imaginations and sparking debate.
Wellcome isn't just a supporter of great ideas; it's a great place to work. We offer excellent benefits and help our employees to develop in an open, respectful culture where differences are valued.
If you are talented, passionate about our work and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to improve health for everyone, then we would encourage you to click 'Apply for Job' below.
We will select candidates for interview as we receive applications, and depending on the response we may close this vacancy before the stated date. If you're interested, we recommend you apply early.