Senior Assistant Accountant - Projects
- A Senior Assistant Accountant in our head offices in Swindon.
- GBP 27,212 - GBP35,400 a year on a permanent contract. (Salary dependent on policy)
- Send in your application by 13/10/2017.
Our Finance Business Services (FBS) shared services centre is evolving. We aim to deliver a range of analytical and transactional financial services to key internal customer groups, freeing other teams within the Division to focus more on strategic business support. You'll be a key member of the team at a critical time in the evolution of the Finance Business Services model.
This is a proven stepping stone to build your career within Nationwide.
Who we're looking for
You'll get to develop strong relationships, both within, and external to the Division through your responsibilities for business partnering, the delivery of critical reporting to key business customers and growing the influence and impact of FBS.
As a minimum requirement you'll:
- Have a strong finance background with month end accounting and reporting
- Have experience of managing a team
- Have a strong understanding of how an effective accounting function is run and administered
- Have sound financial accounting and reporting understanding and have experience in applying that technical knowledge to implement effective processes to the changing business
- Have excellent stakeholder management experience, building relationships across a wide network within the business and draws on those to understand and deliver against customer requirements
- Have the ability to build strong working relationships and work well in a team
- Have strong organisational skills, able to understand competing requirements and implement plans to deliver against them
- Have an analytical approach to problem solving, able to absorb financial information and use your commercial awareness to understand the operational drivers or implications
It would be nice if you also had:
- Completed accountancy studies to a part-qualified level within ACCA or CIMA or have similar relevant experience
- Experience in embedding and performing quality assurance of output
What you'll be doing
You'll be managing a team of 5-6 Assistant Accountants and Accounting Technicians and reporting into the Accountant Lead looking after Projects. You'll be building a broad knowledge of the business areas your team support and processes they undertake and use this with your technical knowledge to help the team deliver a high level of customer service. You'll also be developing an understanding your teams' deliverables and co-ordinating activities to effectively meet a wide range of competing demands. In addition you will undertake review of other team members' outputs to make sure the accuracy and timeliness of the teams' deliverables. Whilst managing the demands of the team you'll also be delivering against your own business areas requirements in accounting for and reporting on financial performance as well as forecasting in the quarterly cycle.
You'll also be responsible for:
- Compliance and control - taking the lead in embedding a more robust control environment and take actions to understand the risks within the team's processes and implement effective controls.
- Service delivery - liaising with the business areas to identify opportunities for delivering the highest quality services and products.
- Process improvement and supporting change - a core part of the FBS ethos is making ourselves as efficient as possible, and you will need to deliver against this.