Social Worker - Family Support and Protection Team - Colchester
Social Worker - Family Support & Protection Team
GBP27,500 to GBP35,000
Permanent, full time contract
One of these vacancies can accommodate applications from Newly Qualified Social Workers
An exciting opportunity to join the Family, Support & Protection in Colchester as a qualified Social Worker
Job Purpose Summary
Managing a defined caseload, the social worker is responsible for working effectively with children, young people and families/carers to achieve positive change and improved outcomes. This includes enquiry, assessment, purposeful intervention through direct work and review in relation to Child Protection, Child in Need and Children Looked After, achieving permanency through care for Children in Care.
Why work with Family Support and Protection in Colchester
- Teams are based locally in the town centres.
- Local parking for staff, car parking permits provided.
- Great team morale, friendly, helpful, supportive colleagues.
- Permanent Managers in both areas who are supportive, encouraging and available.
- Both teams encourage co working senior Social Workers link with more junior staff to offer great learning and development opportunities.
- Great training pathways for staff, encouragement to all staff for their continual professional development, to include progression.
- Good working relationships with other Professionals, step down processes to partner agencies embedded.
- Staff are provided with monthly reflective supervision
- We are passionate about the use of systemic thinking/practice in interventions
Family Support & Protection
Family Support and Protection works with families with long term complex issues that are most in need and require sustained intervention for more than 3 months, children subject to child protection plans. This includes reviewing and updating assessments, supporting families to achieve change, Special Guardianship Order assessments, Section 7 court reports, working with children subject to court proceedings who are at home or children subject to Supervision orders.
Why not check out what our current team have to say about working in Family Support and Protection Charlotte Pope - Social Worker
Knowledge, skills and experience
What you'll need to join our Social Work teams
To play a key part in transforming the lives of children and families, you'll be a DIPSW, CQSW, CSS or equivalent graduate. This will be backed up by post-qualification experience as a children's social worker. Open to change and ready to innovate, you will be keen to join an environment where you can stretch yourself professionally, make an impact individually and deliver positive outcomes collaboratively.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees, including:
- A local government pension scheme (LGPS), a career average scheme with employee and employer contributions
- Annual leave entitlement of up to 29 days per year (depending upon grade and length of service)
- Purchase of additional annual leave (up to agreed limits)
- Flexible working arrangements (for most roles but depending upon service requirements)
- Discounted shopping through a dedicated Reward Portal (including discounts at major supermarkets)
- Training and development and payment of professional fees (approved professions only)
- Relocation package (up to GBP8,000) where agreed
- Employee assistance programme provided in-house (wellbeing and counselling provision)
- Childcare vouchers, through salary sacrifice
Please note ECC regularly reviews its reward and benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on *.
*Calls to this number will cost 7 pence per minute plus your telephone company's access charge