Compliance Advice Senior Manager - Savings and Payments
- A Compliance Advice Senior Manager - Savings and Payments team to be based in Threadneedle Street, London or our head offices in Swindon. Weekly travel to Swindon will be needed.
- GBP53,162 - GBP87,253 a year on a Permanent contract, working 35 hours a week.
- Send in your application by 10 th November 2017.
Compliance Advice forms part of the second-line of defence and a key area of Nationwide's central compliance function, sitting alongside our Compliance and Operational Risk Oversight colleagues. We are at the forefront of complex regulatory change, providing real-time advice and subject matter expertise on all aspects of FCA and PRA regulation to ensure that Nationwide achieves its strategic ambitions, remains compliant and does the right thing for our members.
Nationwide takes pride that it hires colleagues who are driven to do the right thing for our customers and for Nationwide itself and this ethos is evidenced in the way that Group Compliance undertakes its activities and responsibilities.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum you will have:
- Have a strong understanding of retail and transaction banking, as well as the regulation and payments systems that underpin them including Banking Conduct of Business Sourcebook, Payment Service Regulations, Open Banking and the Payment Strategy Forum proposals on the new payments architecture.
- Have a strong understanding of the savings product and markets and understanding of the conduct rules and key conduct risk regulations that apply.
- Demonstrate a willingness to quickly learn any regulatory requirements.
- An awareness of external market developments; from our regulators, government bodies and our competitors - and a thirst for knowledge, always looking to learn more about your business area/s and the regulations impacting it.
- Be able to interpret rules and regulations to support the 1st line to create conduct risk controls and management information that delivers effective risk management.
- Have a practical approach to compliance that balances fair treatment of customers and clients with commercially minded solutions.
- Proven experience of advising business areas and stakeholders on compliance and conduct issues within your current or recent previous roles, both at a local and senior strategic level, including managing often challenging stakeholders in a clear and structured way.
- Be an excellent influences and communicator (both written and verbal) in order to build strong internal and external working relationships that support Nationwide's application of regulation.
- An agile approach to change and proactively propose solutions to deliver a competitive edge, while ensuring our business has an ethical approach that treats members fairly.
- Demonstrable experience of leading and motivating a team of compliance professionals, inspiring them to develop themselves and promote the objectives of the department and business areas they support.
- Personal drive and self-initiative giving you the ability to develop new knowledge quickly.
Ideally your background will be financial services compliance and you will have an industry recognised compliance qualification giving you the ability to develop new knowledge quickly.
However, applications would be welcome from candidates who have worked in a risk or advisory role with the willingness to learn regulatory and compliance technical topics. Nationwide strongly believes in continuous learning, both on an individual basis and through its own Risk Academy, using internal experts, seminars as well as the opportunity to attend external sessions.
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Head of Compliance Advice, you will:
- Be a key member of the senior leadership team across Compliance Advice.
- Build, develop and lead a high performing team to support the delivery of key strategic objectives.
- Lead your team to review and assess emerging and current regulatory rules, working closely with senior individuals from across the business, to help ensure that Nationwide remains compliant.
- Provide effective challenge to the business through the full regulatory lifecycle, from helping the 1st line respond to draft rules and guidance to ensuring that returns and regulatory submissions correctly reflect the final regulations.
- Plan, lead and deliver assignments to be completed by Compliance Advice, providing advice on the interpretation and application of regulation and the design of effective controls.
- Represent Compliance Advice and provide subject matter expertise on senior committees and forums to ensure regulatory requirements are identified, understood and addressed.
- Support the development of regulatory expertise across Nationwide to embed an effective customer and compliance culture.
- Assist with the ongoing embedding, monitoring and controls testing of a number of compliance policies across Nationwide.
- Be pro-active and innovative in how to ensure the management of regulatory risk is embedded within the organisation.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key business areas.