HR Deputy Director, Organisational Development
Reporting to the HR Director for DCLG, the Deputy Director for Organisational Development will lead a team of staff to ensure the delivery of all strands of work (as described below) in this key area of our People Plan. The role sits alongside two other HR DD roles, and also works alongside the senior HR leads in the Homes & Communities Agency and the Planning Inspectorate. As DCLG is a small government department this role holder will have considerable exposure to the Permanent Secretary, the Executive Team and the wider senior leadership cadre.
You will also be expected to play an active part in the wider HR senior community across Whitehall, taking part in working groups and leading on strands of work across departments.
- As part of the HR senior team, providing modern and flexible HR services to the department within the context the wider Civil Service HR model and the CS Workforce Plan, to help the government work better and more efficiently.
- Leading on our diversity and inclusion agenda, working with staff networks and supporting Melanie Dawes CB, Permanent Secretary, in driving forward DCLG’s ambitions on diversity. We believe it should be a cornerstone of how we work and how we support our people.
- Overall strategic development and management of our learning and development offering, ensuring staff in DCLG (and the DCLG Group) have access to the right opportunities for their own personal and professional development.
- Drive forward our health and wellbeing strategy, ensuring it delivers for both managers and staff in DCLG, and encourages and supports our people to maintain or improve their wellbeing wherever they work.
- Leading our new Early Careers Strategy including management of the Fast Stream (the Civil Service graduate scheme), apprentices, interns and other offerings. DCLG supports everyone to build their ambitions at every stage of their working life, to give them a varied experience and build resilience and a talent pipeline for the future.
- Work in partnership with Group-HR colleagues to drive forward cross-Group and cross-Government initiatives to drive improved people-related services and apply them within DCLG. This includes the Homes and Communities Agency and the Planning Inspectorate. This work is at an early stage.
- Support our work on Civil Service professions and work with our DCLG Heads of Profession on developing capability across all professional areas, and build better capability in priority areas (e.g. commercial, digital).
- Act as Senior HR Business Partner to our Local Government and Public Services group, which has responsibility for local government finance, policy and integration.
As one of the Department’s senior leaders, you will also be a visible role model for the Civil Service leadership behaviours. These can be found in the Civil Service Leadership Statement which is available at:
DCLG has developed its own leadership expectations which complement the wider Civil Service Leadership Statement; you can see a copy of this at Annex A.
We are looking for an innovative, articulate, inclusive HR leader who can build highly effective and influential relationships whilst developing senior level talent within DCLG. The postholder will be expected to have knowledge and experience working within a leadership role within a HR function and be able to demonstrate wider leadership skills. We are looking for someone who is passionate about HR and wants to make a difference.
- A track record of having operated in a senior HR role across complex and fast-moving organisations and a range of different workforces, or to give evidence that you are ready to step up to such a role.
- A track record of achievement in building capability at all levels of an organisation, for example through learning and development, talent and succession planning, health and wellbeing, workforce planning and resourcing.
- A successful track record of delivering customer focused advice.
- The ability to manage and influence senior stakeholder relationships combined with the proven experience of advising at a senior level on HR issues.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective working relationships and partnerships across a diverse customer base.
- The ability to work in an environment that is not only fast paced, but sometimes ambiguous.
- Proven senior leadership skills with the ability to demonstrate how you have developed team cultures that deliver high performance against stretching goals as well as improving individual capabilities.
- The ability to analyse complex issues and succinctly present concise evaluation and options for a senior audience, in writing and orally.
- Fully CIPD qualified or be willing to work towards it within two years.
- And/or a change or organisational design and development qualification.
- And/or a learning and development qualification.
- An inspiring, confident, inclusive and empowering leader who is able to provide visible, strong leadership that can motivate, engage and get the best out of your HR team.
- An inspiring and confident communicator with the ability to establish and maintain strong, influential relationships with a range of people across the department, its agencies and Whitehall.
- The ability to challenge and provide coaching support across DCLG in a way that improves the Department and its people.
- A clear and sustained focus on project delivery and the ability to work at pace.
- The personal resilience to work under pressure and scrutiny, and lead effectively through ambiguity.
For the full candidate pack please follow the link to the company website.