Head of Finance, Planning & Performance, DG Nuclear
DG Nuclear is at the heart of defence issues and one of the MOD’s top priorities. Following the recommendations set out in the 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review, the new Director General Nuclear organisation was set up in April 2016 to oversee all aspects of the defence nuclear enterprise. The Government has recently committed to renewing the UK’s nuclear deterrent submarines programme and this is an exciting time to be involved in this important area of national security. The organisation is responsible for all nuclear submarines (from procurement to disposal), nuclear warheads, skills, related infrastructure and nuclear policy.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Defence Nuclear Enterprise. The Head of Nuclear Finance and Planning is a challenging and pivotal role working at the heart of MOD’s priorities. You will be overseeing a budget in excess of £30bn over the next ten years. You will lead the team responsible for all aspects of financial management and control, as well as leading work to analyse and improve the understanding of the Nuclear Enterprise cost base. There is a large amount of scrutiny of the financial aspects of the MOD nuclear programme, including from Ministers, HM Treasury and No10. You will be working closely with the new Submarine Delivery Agency and Navy Command as well as colleagues across DG Nuclear and MOD. You will be responsible for ensuring there is a clear line of sight between inputs and the measurable outputs and performance against the Command Acquisition Support Plan which sets out the priorities for delivery. As a senior member of DG Nuclear there will also be opportunities to influence and shape the new directorate and to work across MOD and Government to deliver a sustainable and affordable nuclear enterprise that supports credible minimum UK nuclear deterrence. You will report directly to the Director, Resources and Policy.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Leading and building a strong team which can effectively support, challenge and influence key stakeholders on all aspects of finance and performance and create a centre of expertise within DG Nuclear for developing robust business cases to support investment;
- Head of finance profession within DG Nuclear, providing support and advice to finance teams based in London, Bristol and Aldermaston.
- Leading on all aspects of financial planning & performance, including budgetary control and scrutiny and reporting, gaining a deep knowledge and understanding of the finances that underpin the nuclear portfolio and able to support excellent decision making through detailed analysis and option appraisal;
- Representing DG Nuclear with senior stakeholders and Ministers, both inside and outside MOD; building a new relationship with finance colleagues within the Submarine Delivery Agency, Aldermaston Weapons Establishment and maintaining the existing strong relationships with MOD Head Office Finance colleagues;
- Leading on DG Nuclear input to the MOD annual planning rounds, ensuring there is consistency of analysis and option appraisal;
- Leading DG Nuclear input to future Spending Reviews and Strategic Defence and Security Reviews, working collaboratively with MOD and the new Submarine Delivery Agency.
Acting as a role model in leadership across the Ministry of Defence where we expect all of our senior leaders to be:
- Inspiring about our work and its future
- Confident in our engagement
- Empowering our teams to deliver