Senior Financial Accountant (Capital)
Interim Senior Financial Accountant (Capital)
Salary: F rom GBP400 - GBP450 per day
Location: Chelmsford, Essex
Contract: Permanent, full-time
Why Essex County Council?
Essex County Council is one of the largest, most reputable local authorities in the UK. Not only is it one of the largest, but it is one of the most dynamic, with a strong reputation for innovation and is an organisation positively embracing change. With an outstanding track record in delivering public service transformation and achieving an unprecedented GBP450m of savings over the last 5 years; the ultimate aim is to improve services for residents and communities alike.
The Financial Services team is at the heart of supporting this successful programme and we are currently recruiting. This is a fantastic opportunity to join our team, excel your career and make a real difference to the lives of the public.
In this role, you will lead on aspects of the Council's statutory financial accounting and reporting requirements (including the Statement of Accounts). In particular, you will be responsible for ensuring that the capital accounting activity is undertaken in compliance with relevant IFRS accounting standards, CIPFA Codes of Practice and government regulations, and in line with the Council's timetable for closure of the accounts.
You will support the establishment and maintenance of a framework of accounting policies and internal financial controls which will ensure that the Council complies with statutory regulations, CIPFA Codes of Practice and professional best practice. You will also provide practical advice and interpretation consistent with these policies and controls to ensure the highest standards of financial governance in all of the Council's decision-making and operations.
Knowledge, skills and experience
What do you need to apply?
- Full CCAB qualification and a minimum of two years' post qualification experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of CIPFA Codes of Practice and underlying IFRS accounting standards and government regulations, and practical experience of applying these in a complex public sector organisation.
- Ability to engage and establish credibility with finance and non-finance professionals, external auditors and other key stakeholders through the provision of high quality and fit for purpose technical accounting advice and support.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on *.
* Calls to this number will cost 7 pence per minute plus your telephone company's access charge