People, Culture & Resourcing Manager
Our Newcastle Hub is a key aspect of our strategy and focuses on delivering legal and business services to our global network in a more innovative and efficient way.
The biggest sub-team at the Newcastle Hub is the Legal Process team - a team of paralegals doing fee-earning, process-based legal work. They work closely with our Technology and Innovation team, which re-engineers the firm’s legal processes to make them more efficient and trials and implements new technologies. We also have a paralegal-level Knowledge team, supporting more senior knowledge teams around the network.
To be an agile business where quality and innovation are at the forefront of everything we do, we have to be an organisation where people feel valued, respected and be able to develop themselves. We are focused on ensuring our Newcastle Hub replicates the supportive and high quality culture which exists in our global business.
So far, the Hub’s recruitment and HR management has been supported by the relevant teams in London. The Hub is about to enter a rapid phase of expansion, developing the sub-teams mentioned above and establishing and growing several others on the business services side, meaning that focussed support is now needed locally.
- Providing advice and guidance on policy or procedural issues to employees and managers, in particular reviewing current employment practices and suggesting amendments (where possible/necessary) to reflect realities and workforce of the Hub and differences with other offices, utilising line manager and Employee Relations Manager expertise as appropriate
- Acting as the main point of contact for employees regarding any concerns or issues that affect them
- Liaising with the Employee Relations Manager in London with regard to disciplinary and grievance investigations and hearings
- Proactively keeping up to date with current employment law and employment trends
- Regularly analysing management information (e.g. turnover data, exit interview data, salary data, etc.) to make recommendations to deal with trends and issues.
- Coordinating appraisal process
- Assisting with salary review process
- Assessing existing benefits for Hub employees and making recommendations as to short-term incentives plan in conjunction with the Reward Team
- Managing over-time, shift patterns and availability
- Maintaining relationships with local agencies where appropriate and following firm recruitment processes working closely with the London Recruitment team
- Maintaining relations with local universities, working closely with the Graduate Recruitment team, organising and attending careers fairs, social events and skills sessions
- Participating in local networks and keeping abreast of the latest trends in the legal and local markets
- Working with our recruitment management system CV Mail
- In conjunction with the London Recruitment Team, organising and attending recruitment days and assessment centres (including organising and overseeing testing)
- Drafting job descriptions in conjunction with recruiting managers
- Updating resourcing plans
- Seeking approval from the Recruitment and Secondment Committee as appropriate
Joiners and leavers
- Working with the HR Service Delivery Team in London and Manila to co-ordinate the joiners and leavers processes to ensure all documentation is produced in an effective and timely manner
- Ensuring there is regular contact with new joiners from offer acceptance to joining the firm, providing information as required to facilitate an effective transition into their new role and to Norton Rose Fulbright
- Ensuring there is a smooth transition through the induction process, recommending and implementing changes in conjunction with the London HR team and HR Service Delivery
- Monitoring the end of probation process and providing guidance to managers on performance issues.
- Conducting probation meetings with new employees, collating feedback and escalating issues when appropriate to the relevant manager
- Monitoring fixed term contract expiry dates and production of leaver details/extensions, in conjunction with the HR Service Delivery Team, as appropriate after consultation with the relevant manager
- Co-coordinating the exit interview process, conduct meetings with leavers where appropriate and analysing results
- Over time, assisting the Liaison Associate(s) with resource planning for the fee earning Legal Process team
- Managing the maintenance of the spreadsheet of paralegal skill sets, languages and availability for use by managers
- Managing employee engagement and coordinating surveys and committees
- Working with Head of the Newcastle Hub on employee engagement initiatives
- Keeping on top of training requirements, organising (with assistance from the Team Assistant) initial training and any subsequent sessions asked for by managers in conjunction with the London L&D team.
- Managing all aspects of the maternity, paternity, shared parental and unpaid leave processes and oversee reintegration on return from leave
- Regularly monitoring absence statistics and reviewing those with excess levels of absence and discussing course of action with relevant manager
- Liaising with the Occupational Health (“OH”) service provider on referrals and preparing necessary paperwork prior to appointments. Ensuring OH recommendations are followed up as required
- Undertaking ad hoc project work, liaising with HR in other locations as necessary and coordinating with HR specialist teams (e.g. Employee Relations) as necessary
Skills and Experience Required
- Experienced HR professional with fresh, cutting-edge ideas and customer service deliver background
- Senior and confident enough to take responsibility and take decisions
- Ideally an HR background in professional services
- Ability to operate in a matrix environment
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to engage and gain credibility with senior stakeholders
- Ability to manage own work load and prioritise tasks
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- A positive and proactive attitude (essential)
- Resilience with the confidence to deliver difficult messages
- An excellent team player
- Strong MS office skills are essential in particular reference to Word and Outlook, ideally experience of working with a document management system too
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact email@example.com (enquiries only please)
NO AGENCIES PLEASE – we will not accept speculative CV’s, or any associated terms, sent to the business unless otherwise requested.