Government Chief Property Officer (Head of Property Profession)
To be Head of Profession and provide expert leadership of the property professional function, both internally within Civil Service and with wider external stakeholders, such as professional institutes and industry bodies to ensure the civil service is fully engaged in wider professional matters;
To drive the development of clear standards and a professional community for the property function through the right people activity including;
(1) attracting people to the property profession from both within and outside of government;
(2) building property specific career pathways;
(3) developing diverse talent pipelines.
Key deliverables of role:
- Review and monitor the composition and capability of the property function within government and identify workforce solutions to meet current and future requirements;
- Raise the profile of the Government Property Profession by increasing the visibility and awareness of the profession internally and externally through engagement with Civil Service departments, professional bodies, attendance at external professional awards/ networking events etc. and build relationships with industry, third sector and academia to enhance exchange of skills and people with government;
- Develop and maintain an oversight of government policy across wider government that impacts on property.
- Work across departments to ensure the diversity of the Government Property Profession (GPP) reflects the diversity of the country at large.
- Develop and embed clear career pathways for property professionals, in line with work in other government functions;
- Ensure that professional standards and qualifications are integrated into HR systems, such as recruitment, performance management, learning and development, pay and succession planning;
- Embed and promote learning and development priorities for professionals in line with industry standards, particularly in the use of CPD;
- Ensure that we have the skills and capability within the property function to deliver the Government Estate Strategy and Functional Plan;
- Oversee activity of Deputy Directors within the Government Property Unit (as part of wider support for Director General for Government Property) - including line management responsibilities;
- Represent the property function at relevant steering groups (e.g. on emerging projects such as the Westminster Streetscape and Parliamentary Restoration and Renewal); internal and external events; deputise at wider Cabinet Office Executive meetings when the Director General is not present;
- Oversee development of and publication of the Property Functional Plan;
- Providing professional assurance at recruitment, selection, and performance reviews for key roles across the property function;
- Leading the Government Property Profession (GPP) Board and work with discipline leads across government to advance the agenda.
- Promote panels of technical expertise within the GPP / wider profession which government departments / agencies could call upon at short notice.