Software Developer in London, Old Street - Permanent Full-time/Returnship
Location: Old Street
Always be kind: a simple daily affirmation and one that feels more like a personal mission statement than a corporate motto -- but Pivotal isn’t just any corporation. Underpinning our world-class capabilities in cloud-native software delivery and agile development methodologies is one common thread: empathy. Not only do we want to transform the way the world builds software, we also want to make sure that sustainable pace, kindness, and diversity are at the core of every enterprise.
Known for taking an iterative approach, our 2000+ employees are empowered every day to help shape the way we build software. Pivotal is committed to open source, a diverse culture, and fostering safe spaces for all of our individual employees.
Whether you’re looking for a new permanent role or returning to work after a while, we are interested in talking to you!
You have a passion for high-quality, reliable and maintainable code. You’re comfortable working side by side with product managers, designers, and clients, making decisions together in order to quickly deliver valuable working software to clients and their users. You’re agile and retrospective, and not afraid to identify what we’re doing wrong so we can fix it, and what we're doing right so we can improve on it. Above all, you judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of our customers.
We are offering full-time roles or return to work placement, “returnships.”
Pivotal Labs is a recognized leader in modern software development practices. We work with many of the world’s most influential companies, helping them not only build great software, but fundamentally create a culture of innovation. Our approach is informed by over 20 years of experience and continuous improvement, and blends lean startup, user-centered design and agile/XP. We also developed Pivotal Tracker, the project management and collaboration tool used by thousands of agile teams worldwide.
As cliche as it may sound, every day is completely different from the next. We have a general framework for what our day looks like and the majority of it will be spent with your pair:
- 9:06 AM - Office-wide stand-up to build office cohesion and start the day off together.
- 9:10 AM - Team standup - discuss any blockers, choose pairs, maybe even tell a joke.
- 9:30-12:30 PM - Start pairing, tackle an open Backlog issue!
- 12:30-1:30 PM - Lunch! Enjoy food at some of the local markets, run an errand, or join a club.
- 1:31-6:00 PM - Get back with your pair and start an acceptance test for a big feature.
While that schedule does look busy, don’t worry - we take ample breaks throughout the day. Play a game of ping pong, or chat with co-workers in the fully stocked kitchen. Sustainable pace is held in high regard. We know there is a life outside of work, we want you to be able to spend time with family and friends.
Desired Skills / Experience
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment because we want to hear from you.
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
- Interest in exploring new programming paradigms, languages, and patterns
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
Nice to Have
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Operations or Systems Administration experience, particularly on UNIX
- Worked with large Go/Ruby/Rails codebases
- Used Test Driven Development (TDD) extensively
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open source project
- On-call experience with production grade systems
- Has mentored others in a professional setting
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.