We’re looking for a passionate mid-level Android developer to join our apps team, who will expand our Mumsnet Talk Android app. We’re not just looking for a genius code ninja, but someone who’s willing to get their hands dirty, working with designers and stakeholders to help craft beautiful user experiences that our users will love. Mumsnet is a thriving forum, and our users tell us what they think so be prepared to ask our Mumsnetters for their feedback in our ongoing quest to make killer apps.
You will be part of a very exciting, agile team that is looking to grow and develop the Mumsnet product, whilst embracing new technologies to make sure we remain the no.1 place for parents online.
What you will do
● Build, debug, test and deploy our current native Mumsnet Talk Android app
● Work with our users to understand their needs and build apps they love
● Collaborate with designers and API developers to plan out each feature
● Plan and estimate weekly sprints
● Be an advocate for apps at Mumsnet, showing us the latest trends, tools, techniques and inspiring work in the field.
What you must have
● 2-3+ yrs working with native Android apps
● Experience working with the Google Play store
● Experience with RESTful APIs
● Working understanding of MVC & version control
● A drive to deliver high quality, right first time, pixel perfect code
● An eye for intelligent and beautiful user experience in mobile apps
It’d be nice if you had:
● Experience of Rails / Java / PHP
● Experience using wireframing tools (Marvel etc)
● Experience working with opensource projects
● Experience managing / mentoring junior developers
● Experience working for an online publishing organisation.
This role is envisaged as full-time but we are happy to consider flexible options for the right candidate.
If all of this sounds good to you:
Please apply with -
- Your CV
- Links to your portfolio
- A covering letter that demonstrates some of the qualities we’re looking for.
Deadline for applications: 9th May 2018. We’ll be calling the best candidates for interview as soon as we spot them so don’t delay in applying!
Who we are
Mumsnet is the UK’s biggest website for parents, and our purpose is to make their lives easier. We’ve got some of the busiest forums in Europe, with users offering each other advice and support 24/7 (as well as more content, bloggers, videos, events and campaigns than you can shake a rattle at). We want to be indispensably useful for parents, and a great place to work.
Why work for us?
We’ve grown steadily and sustainably over the last 17 odd years and we’ve got every intention of carrying on. We’re building a highperformance, collaborative and agile work environment. We believe that mistakes are human, but learning is divine. We put purpose before profits, we’re committed to diversity and equality, and our computers metaphorically speaking say 'YES'. We don't only want to hire the best people: we want to retain them. If you need some flexibility, let us know and we’ll do our best. View our equality and diversity policy, We are also proud to be a London Living Wage employer.
We host sandwich lunches, staff parties and knowledge sessions; we have a book club, a football and netball team, plus there’s babyfoot; and we have our own yoga studio while remaining tolerant of the Lycraaverse. Working for Mumsnet means never having to pretend you don’t have a family (or other commitments) and we promise never to keep you away from the school sports day.
Where we are
We’re based in sunny Kentish Town, where you’re never more than 500 metres away from a sourdough pizza and an elaborately refurbished pub.