Head of Communications - Full-time
Head of Communications
Every day brings new challenges at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH). Every day, 618 seriously ill children from across the UK arrive for life-changing treatments. Every day, young lives hang in the balance as patients, families and staff battle the most complex illnesses. And every day, the brightest minds come together to achieve pioneering medical breakthroughs that change the lives of thousands of children - and change the world. This extraordinary hospital has always depended on charitable support to give seriously ill children the best chance to fulfil their potential. Without donations, Great Ormond Street Hospital Charity can't help fund ground-breaking research, advanced equipment, child and family support services, and the rebuilding and refurbishment of wards and medical facilities. Our staff help to raise these vital funds for the hospital. A better future for seriously ill children starts with you.
Position: Head of Communications
Location: Central London, WC1N
Job Type: Full Time, 12 month Fixed Term Contract
Hours: 37.5 hours per week – plus out of hours and on call as required
Closing date: 5pm, Friday 27th April 2018
About the role:
A high profile, strategic and effective communications strategy is essential to support the delivery of charitable income required by the hospital and contribute to our ambitious growth plans.
The Head of Communications is responsible for leading this key strategic function. With that in mind, we are looking for an experienced, forward thinking individual who can lead a busy and ambitious team, expertly identify external opportunities as well as challenges, and manage their team to deliver high quality communications to a variety of audiences to support the business needs of Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity.
- Lead and develop the communications function for the charity, maintaining a strong strategic approach whilst managing a professional team who can work expertly across a range of communications functions, with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Build and maintain strong positive relationships with leaders across the charity and the hospital, as well as key external stakeholders and senior journalists
- Lead on the Charity’s response to risk issues, proactively spotting potential external challenges and providing guidance to senior stakeholders, including making recommendations where opinions may differ
- Provide strategic leadership in internal communications for the charity
- Manage the business planning of the Charity’s communications function, working closely with the Deputy Director of Communications to ensure it delivers to the wider strategy, ensuring innovation, efficiency and value for money
- Support your team in developing strategic, ambitious and innovative communications strategies to promote our charitable activity and deliver excellent internal communications, undertaking regular appraisals, team meetings and catch ups ensuring objectives are met and work carried out to deadlines
- Supervise filming and visits to the hospital and ensure your team endorse and adhere to the hospital guidelines in this area
- Advise and support families dealing with the media, acting with the families’ best interests and ensuring activity is appropriate for them and for us
- Manage the Family and Hospital Liaison Manager, including ensuring that our case studies database, Resource Space, is maintained to best meet the needs of the organisation
- Manage the Internal Comms Manager to develop and deliver effective internal communications strategies
Essential Skills / Experiences:
- A degree or equivalent educational qualification and / or relevant work experience
- Proven experience in delivering high profile and effective PR campaigns
- In-depth knowledge of strategy and tactics in managing risk issues and experience of managing complex media stories
- Experience of managing a diverse team and working with senior management and donors
- Experience of fundraising PR particularly of high value corporate partnerships and red-carpet special events
Desirable Skills / Experiences:
- Experience of the digital media space and engaging with stakeholders through social media
- Experience of providing strategic leadership in internal communications for an organisation
- Experience of working with celebrities
- Charity sector / not-for-profit experience
You may have experience of the following: Head of Communications, Head of Media, Head of Campaigns, Communications Manager, Media Manager, Campaign Manager, Marketing Manager, Head of Marketing, Charity, Charities, Third Sector, NFP, Not for Profit etc.
This vacancy is being advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment, the UK’s leading Online Recruitment Agency. The services advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment are those of an employment agency. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, or belief, and we confirm that we will gladly accept all applications.