Head of Regional Delivery x3
Employing approximately 4,500 staff from a very diverse range of professions, working across the world; in Germany, Cyprus and the Falkland Islands, Norway, Poland, Kenya, Belize, Nepal and Oman. Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), are responsible for all acquisition, disposal, allocation of assets, construction and maintenance of estate infrastructure in the UK and abroad. Playing a vital role in supporting our armed forces by building, maintaining and servicing the infrastructure needed to support Defence, providing the armed forces and their families with a fit-for-purpose estate that includes accommodation.
The DIO is seeking to appoint three Regional Delivery Heads, covering different geographical areas - Central, South East and South West. In these key senior leadership positions, the post holders will play an important role in helping to shape the future of the DIO and MOD's estate. Reporting to the Regional Delivery Director and the Chief Operating Officer, the Regional Heads will be members of the DIO Wider Leadership Team and the Regional Delivery Directors Executive Committee.
The Regional Heads lead an estates function accountable for the provision of diverse infrastructure services across a multi-site portfolio of:
Central: 43,684 assets and 40,744 hectares of real estate
South East: 28,225 assets and 9,856 hectares of real estate
South West: 26,079 assets and 13,824 hectares of real estate
The Regional Heads are responsible for delivery of customer agreed programmes of work, which includes estates management services, hard and soft FM services, lifecycle replacements, capital investment works, and energy management. DIO is also embarking on an ambitious transformation to create a customer focused delivery capability. The Regional Heads will lead this transformation within their regions.
We are seeking exceptional leaders and role models with a proven track record of delivery and customer focus across a large scale, diverse and technically complex infrastructure portfolio. Positive, driven and a natural collaborator, you will possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, commercial acumen with the intellectual confidence to succeed, inspiring others and to operate successfully with senior level customers and stakeholders.
The roles are rich and diverse and provide unique opportunities for highly motivated and inspirational professionals with appropriate vision, leadership and communication skills, to join this dynamic and forward-thinking organisation as it enters the next phase of its development.
Key responsibilities include:
• Deliver a £multi-million and complex programme of estate services, hard and soft FM services and capital works to time and budget
• Leading and delivering innovative and integrated estates services and operations to MOD customers ensuring that they enjoy an exceptional level of customer service
• Providing regular and clear progress monitoring and management information including ensuring infrastructure assets are statutory compliant
• Providing strong leadership motivation and empowerment to multi-disciplinary teams, including infrastructure professionals, commercial and finance staff by enabling common goals and vision
• Inspiring people and developing their capability as well as driving a culture of teamwork, high performance and continuous improvement
• To advise in the formation of and be responsible for the Regions annual budget and delivery programme, to ensure all operations are provided at optimum cost and effectiveness
• Work collaboratively with Key Suppliers to improve Industry Partner performance and identify opportunities for efficiencies and improvements
• Ensuring the regional interface with customers, internal and external stakeholders are effective, and implementing a stakeholder engagement strategy
• Delivering effective communications in support of wider corporate DIO and MOD initiatives and provide timely and accurate information to support Parliamentary and Freedom of Information (FOI) requirements
• Responsible for implementing an assurance process that ensures that efficient and effective delivery of contracted services, and for robust performance management by ensuring appropriate systems, checks and balances are in place
The successful candidates should possess proven leadership and management credentials, and the vision, strategic and operational know-how, intellectual capacity and personal stature to enhance the DIO performance. S/he will be a strategic thinker, and will balance seeing the big picture with an innate curiosity and desire to understand our customers and improve DIO business performance. S/he will combine experience in operational infrastructure delivery skills with the intuition of an experienced and well-rounded senior manager. They will have an open manner with a ‘no surprises’ management style which will build trust and respect amongst their colleagues at all levels throughout the MOD.
Specific experience and achievements should include:
• Experience at a senior level in an estates / property / service delivery role within a large complex organisation
• Strategic and operational capability to control significant large scale resources and oversee infrastructure services and capital delivery programmes
• An understanding of technical aspects of estates management, with, ideally a Professional Registration with a relevant Professional Institution
• Demonstrable track record of success in leading and enthusing a large team in a complex and multi sites organisation
• Demonstrating an entrepreneurial approach and the ability to view challenges through the broad lens of a general manager and leader rather than the narrow focus of a specialist
• Proven achievement in managing change
• Commercial decision making and negotiating experience in the private or public sectors
• Experience of building a culture of continuous improvement and high quality customer service
Skills and personal attributes:
• It is desirable you are a graduate with membership of a relevant professional body
• A flexible inspirational and effective leadership style with the professional credibility to command respect and confidence within and outside of the DIO. An emphasis on performance management and personal development of staff
• The ability to grasp the complexity and diversity of the MOD estate. The self-confidence, humility and curiosity to ask questions of colleagues across the MOD in order to build understanding and knowledge
• Articulate, diplomatic and persuasive with an ability to use fact based evidence as part of influencing skills
• Highly visible and approachable in style. Ability to work collaboratively whilst providing constructive challenge and holding others to account
• High levels of personal integrity honesty and openness
• The ability to engage effectively with customers, external bodies, and private sector partners
• The confidence to represent the DIO externally at a high level