Senior Counsel (M&A)
- Full Time
We have a multifaceted new vacancy for a Senior Counsel in Aviva plc's head office in London. In this role, reporting to the Director of Legal (Corporate and Reinsurance), you'll work hand-in-hand with the business to advise and deliver on the Aviva Group's strategic priorities.
With a focus on corporate and finance cases, you will have the opportunity to work across a range of matters: whilst we are looking for someone with a good understanding of M&A / corporate law to support our current large workload, the role will also provide you with an opportunity to work on FinTech corporate venturing, big-ticket international divestments, capital management transactions (including debt capital markets matters), Group insurance and a range of corporate advisory issues (including the Group's legal risk reporting and management).
It's an opportunity like no other because as well as working in-house for the UK's largest insurer, there is a strong transactional focus. It means collaborating closely with your team and the wider legal function, building rewarding relationships with key internal clients, not to mention striking up a rapport with senior leaders and their teams. With the opportunity to expand your knowledge and understanding at every opportunity, you'll join a culture of continuous learning and accelerated performance.
Aviva introduced "smart-working" in 2020, and the person in this position can be based anywhere in the UK, as long as they are comfortable travelling to our London offices each week.
What skills & experiences are required?
- Commercial experience as a senior lawyer with relevant post qualifying experience with a leading firm and/or a financial institution
- Ambition to understand the strategy, values and behaviours of a FTSE 100 financial institution and to experience in-house business partner management
- Proven ability to manage projects or cases, negotiations and relationships with third parties
- Demonstrable ability to troubleshoot and problem solve in a creative and innovative manner and work with agility across a range of areas
- Strong technical knowledge of applicable areas of law, including M&A/Corporate, and desire to improve
- Experience providing technical leadership and knowledge-sharing to upskill colleagues through mentoring on areas of expertise
- Personal competencies: great teammate, dedicated, communicative, robust, flexible, with a positive attitude and a dream to be an involved member of a strong, engaged team
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through "My Aviva Extras" plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we're people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too, we're all about our people - that's you - so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we're very open to that. In fact, we don't advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it's up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Once you've applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we'll make sure we interview you.
We'd love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daniel Hopchet a call on 0121 234 7625 or send an email to Daniel.Hopchet@Aviva.com .
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By 'minimum criteria' we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.